Créateurs de Perles en Fils

All yarns used are either from natural or reclaimed materials. Most of them are hand-dyed and as much as possible organic, hand-spun and locally sourced.

For more info and custom orders contact me on vynnsravelings@gmail.com or by phone.

PLEASE NOTE my number is : +27 (0)83 365 6782

23 July 2010

The Coral Tree : Erythrina Lysistemon

That tree is the most beautiful of all, well, to me anyway.
It embodies Africa, to me still.
It loses its leaves in winter while its flamboyant red flowers are still in bloom. You’d have to drive down an alley planted with those trees to feel the beauty of it. Sometimes they stand alone, bright patches of red on the yellowing dry winter grassland. Better still, i have this image of a Coral Tree against the veld fires. Those fires are controlled (and sometimes out of control), the people/farmers …etc set it to the grassland to get rid of the high grass and manage habitat, grazing and so on. Those fires would occur naturally and they would be beneficial if only humans would let Nature take care of itself. Anyway to the point : i was in the car, heading to the Drakensberg and there it was, the coral tree, with only three or four blooms, standing against the dark grey of the smoking ashes. I wish i has a camera implanted in my head (or rather, a telepathy gift) so i could show you this picture from another world. If you are familiar with Kirikou (French film about a tale of West Africa, link below), you’ll remember  the alley of the flamboyants (which is, i think, a different tree), and the picture i saw that day was very similar, vermillion, bluish greys and charcoal. A poem.
I have been wanting to catch that beauty into my work, but to no avail so far. I have only been able to use the colour combination of it.

Here is a picture of coral tree blooms, and below a link that will give you further info on that wonderful natural…. wonder!


Here is the necklace that has been stuck in my head for so long! I hope you enjoy!








Links:
Kirikou et la sorcière (Kirikou and the sorceress) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirikou_and_the_Sorceress



 

1 comment:

  1. I So love this coral tree necklace!!!! Also because I do love the coral tree. Well done! and keep on doing this amazing work.
    by the way the word "neck-lace" goes well with you.
    E

    ReplyDelete

A comment? Leave it here!